- Upcoming Events
- Leadership Midwest City 2013
- Boeing Relocation Resources
- Community Partners
- Membership Directory
- Contact Us
- Join the Chamber
- Economic Development
- Links to a Quality K-12 Education
Military Green Means More Than It Used To.
The US Air Force and all branches of the armed forces are placing a greater emphasis on energy and the environment. Speakers at an Association of Defense Communities Conference in Albuquerque, NM earlier this year provided additional support for this claim. It only stands to reason that communities that house and support military installations and personnel would take up the “Green” cause as well.
It is one thing to “talk green” and entirely another to “live green.” In Midwest City and nearby Eastern Oklahoma County, we want to do our part to provide military, federal civilian and contractor personnel with truly “Green” housing choices and commuting options.
- First of all, quality-built homes in Eastern Oklahoma County cost far less than you may have experienced in other military communities around the country, especially on the coasts. Our homes are also less costly when compared to quality neighborhoods in other quadrants of the OKC Metro Area. We think it’s “Green” to save money!
- Commuting to Tinker AFB and other area employers costs less when you begin your day in one of Eastern Oklahoma County’s “Commuter-Friendly” communities. For every ten (10) miles (one-way) that you reduce your daily commute, you reduce the total cost to operate your vehicle by more than $7,000 per year. (source: http://www.commutesolutions.org/calc.htm based on 20 total miles per day.)
- Reduce your carbon foot-print through reduced fuel consumption when you begin your daily commute in Eastern Oklahoma County. If you reduce your one-way commute by ten (10) miles, you will reduce your fuel consumption by approximately 250 gallons per year. (based on 20 MPG at 50 weeks per year).
- Commuting to Tinker AFB from Eastern Oklahoma County saves time, your most valuable non-renewable resource. Subtracting fifteen (15) minutes from your one-way commute will reduce your annual commuting time by more than 120 hours…the equivalent of an extra three week vacation each year.
- The tree covered, rolling hills of Eastern Oklahoma County offer the feel of country living, so close to the amenities of city life. “The net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equivalent to ten room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours a day.”—U.S. Department of Agriculture. Read about this other benefits from living near trees at http://www.arborday.org/trees/benefits.cfm
We proudly support the Air Force, Navy and all of our military in their efforts to be more “Green.” Now, it’s our turn.
Over the next several weeks, you will be hearing more about “Living in the Green!” and www.livingintheGreen.net. Whether you’re interested in saving money, saving time, or saving the planet, the obvious choice is Eastern Oklahoma County… “Living in the Green!”
Powered by Max Banner Ads